Music makes a home

For some time now I have been searching for a way to become more involved at our synagogue. Right now I was not willing to give the time commitment necessary to be a religious school teacher and I am fluent enough with the service and customs of this synagogue yet to take a more active part in leading the service. That did not leave very many opportunities. And then I discovered the Folk Music Group. They perform about four times a year at special services so some might feel their contribution to the shul is not large. That does not matter to me. I just wanted to be involved and meet people.

After several false starts and scheduling conflicts, I finally managed to connect with the group and join them for a rehearsal last evening. It was all I expected and so much more. With all that has been going on in my family lately, I was conflicted about taking this time away from them. It turned out to be the best thing in the world for me. It was not about spirtuality in a religious sense. It was more about a sense of belonging. Music has always been a huge part of who I am. I was actively involved in a performing group of one kind or another from age 6-18. In college, I lost track of it and never found the right home again as an adult. I think have now. I am very much looking forward to the next rehersal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WFMW - Sewing Machine

Its Giveaway Time Again - Cooking and Kids

Book Giveway - Children