Spring Cake

I did it.  I finally made a good cake totally from scratch that has no chocolate at all.  I am calling it my Spring Cake because it is light and pretty and tastes fresh and inviting. But really it is a light lemon cake with lemon curd filling and a lemon buttercream frosting.  
 
First I made the lemon curd.  It was so much easier than I had feared. 
 
 Then I made the cake.  My oven is acting up so it took two tries to get something workable.  I made two layers but then cut them in half to make more layers. 
 I made the lemon buttercream frosting using her American Buttercream recipe but substituting Earth Balance for the butter.  It whipped up very nicely and did not have an overpowering flavor.  I have tried buttercream frosting before with a variety of butter substitutes with less than acceptable results.  I am still not sure I would like the Earth Balance for a vanilla buttercream but it was lovely with the lemon to give it some flavor.  It started to separate some as I was frosting because it got too warm but a brief visit in the fridge and it was fine. 

Here is the finished product. I did not have the candied flowers to put on as a finishing touch but I think it is pretty without it.  We all enjoyed it immensely and then shared it with Aunt Petal and our neighbors next door after Shabbos.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WFMW - Sewing Machine

Its Giveaway Time Again - Cooking and Kids

Book Giveway - Children