Tish B'Av

I did not grow up in a very observant household.  Growing up there was no mention of any holidays between Shavuot and Rosh HaShana.  And we barely even heard of Shavuot.  I have grown much in my observance since Froggy was born and continue to grow and learn. 
When preparing for the holiday, I prepared as I would for a major fast day, planning my meals accordingly thinking in advance so as to help the fast be successful and have a good beaf-fast meal ready with minimal effort.  Then I realized due to the pregnancy I would not be fasting.
For the first time ever, I was able to attend Shul and hear Lamentations read for Tish B'Av.  It was a very beautiful service and a very moving experience.  For the service, everyone sits on the floor or low stools and the lights are dimmed to help achieve the proper sense of mourning. 
 Our rabbi ran a study session during the afternoon on the differences between the communal mourning of Tish B'Av and the more personal mourning of Yom Kippur.  It was a fascinating comparison and a participating in the discussion really helped continue that sense of community that started with Ma'ariv.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WFMW - Sewing Machine

Its Giveaway Time Again - Cooking and Kids

Book Giveway - Children