What We Are Reading

Now that Froggy is older and reading longer books, sometimes it takes a while for the book to really get interesting.  I am working with her not to give up too fast on a new book.  A great example is Mr. Poppers Penguins.  We have a paper copy of this book that Froggy has picked up and put down several times without really giving a valid chance.

This week I picked up an audio version of it.  When I put it on in the car, her cmment was "I know this book and don't like it"  After listening to only 2 chapters her new impression was totally captivation and enthusiasm, so much so that she wanted to continue the story with the paper version when we came inside.

I also wanted to share my latest treasure, Surely You're Joking Mr. Fyneman.  This memoir is far outside my typical reading material.  When I was a bit older than Froggy is now I read lots and lots of biographies and memoirs but as an adult generally the only non-fiction I read is for educational purposes, ie how to be a better parent, how to do x,or y or z.

Adventures in Mamaland recommended the book and it is wonderful.  "In this phenomenal national bestseller, the Nobel Prize­-winning physicist Richard P. Feynman recounts in his inimitable voice his adventures trading ideas on atomic physics with Einstein and Bohr and ideas on gambling with Nick the Greek, painting a naked female toreador, accompanying a ballet on his bongo drums and much else of an eyebrow-raising and hilarious nature"  I am scientist by trade and even though physics is not my area of expertise, it is neat to see this look into its early beginnings.  Some of the math that he references goes right over my head but it does not detract from my ability to enjoy the book and his fun geeky way of seeing the world.  As a person who has always hung out with true mathematicians and scientists, it is fun to see that yes most of them really are socially clueless and lost in their own world.

Comments

  1. I am with you - sometimes I need to lead daughter into the book to make it interesting for her, that's when audio books are so very useful. Feynman book sounds very interesting too! Thanks for joining WMCIR!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WFMW - Sewing Machine

Its Giveaway Time Again - Cooking and Kids

Book Giveway - Children