Caramel Apple Cupcakes

We had these cupcakes last Shabbat before all the craziness set in.  I had meant to post this writeup much earlier. 
 I made a successful dairy-free caramel sauce.  For a long time I did not believe it was possible but it is.  It  is complicated and actually took two recipes but is well worth it.

First I made my own sweetened condensed milk using this recipe.  It was not hard at all. I used honey rather than agave nectar because I can and had it on hand.  It made plenty and I am storing the extra in the fridge for my next batch of caramel during Sukkot.

Then I made the caramel itself.   The  Caramel sauce is slightly harder and absolutely requires a candy thermometer.  But if you just trust the thermometer and leave it alone it turns out great.  Here is the recipe.

Thick Caramel
1/2 cup Earth Balance
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
6 ounces sweetened condensed milk (from above)
1 tablespoon coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Bring the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk to a boil over medium-high heat stirring to combine.
2. With a wooden spoon, stir all ingredients together and then slowly add the heavy cream.
3. Continue to stir for about 20 minutes until the caramel reached 248 degrees. It is important to continuously stir the mixture and to allow it to reach temperature.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and salt. Transfer to a bowl and continue to stir for 2-3 minutes allowing the caramel to cool slightly.

Here are the cupcakes.  It is best to make them before the caramel so they are cooled an ready when the caramel is ready.
The cupcakes called for a cr4eam cheese filling and it was good but not anything impressive and I would probably skip it next time.

Then you spread the caramel sauce on top and shove in the freezer as quick aqs you can so the caramel sets up on them rather than dripping every where.  then eat up yum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WFMW - Sewing Machine

Its Giveaway Time Again - Cooking and Kids

Book Giveway - Children