Recipe Redux - MInnestrone Soup

One of Abba's favorite soups is Minnestrone Soup.  I have been playing with the recipe for awhile now trying to find that happy mix that fits everyone.  To me Minnestrone Soup is an Italian recipe and the flavoring should reflect that.  To me, it should have both beans and pasta.  So I scoped out lots of recipes and finally came up with the following.  Zucchini can easily be substituted for the green beans and I frequently do that in the summer when it is easily available.  Bear in mind, other than when baking I do not actually measure ingredients.  I tend to eyeball and estimate and do what looks good.

The spices make a big difference.  If you do not have quality dried spices, then use fresh herbs.

Ingredients:
1 medium onion diced finely
2 large carrots sliced
3 ribs celery (including tops) sliced
1 28oz can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
6cups chicken broth
dried basil
dried oregano
fresh ground pepper
2 cups white beans (I used canned this time but preferred to use dried)
1 pkg frozen spinach
8oz fresh green beans cut into 2 in pieces
1 cup small pasta

Directions
Cook onion, carrot, and celery in soup pot over medium high heat until onions turn golden. Add tomatoes, broth and spices. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer as long or as short as you like.  Add green beans and spinach 30 -60 minutes before serving.  Add pasta no more than 30minutes before serving.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WFMW - Sewing Machine

Its Giveaway Time Again - Cooking and Kids

Book Giveway - Children